Sunday, June 17, 2007

Day 7 - Chicago Blues Festival



Nice weather and we got a chance to see a bit of the Blues Festival, but more importantly ... we able to get a feeling of the atmosphere, the hoop la, the vendors, etc. I assumed that since we were not taking pictures of animals, or flowers, or paintings, that we would end up with fewer photos today. Well ... I was mistaken ... because it seems that when the aforementioned elements are not in place ... the Thai gals can always find a subject to photograph ... in this case... "views". How many views can there be? Well... if you stand in any position and turn around slowly, you will see about 360 views. We visited Buckingham Fountain and have pictures of about 236 of the possible 360 positions from which you can photograph the fountain.




We tried to get a picture with Brenda's building (the big red building) and Mike's building (the Aon building) in the same frame, and to do this, you have to retreat about 180 yards, which ended me up in a bunch of trees, dodging branches and leaves.


After a photo session with the fountain and may have taken longer then a Cindy Crawford photo session, we walked along the lakeshore trail, right next to the "bowts" and the yacht clubs (which, when explained, also became a key point of interest).




We made our way aside of the Chicago River, out to the Magnificent Mile on Michigan Ave, walked north to the Water Tower mall.


Yes... there are of course flowers on Michigan Ave, and they "have" to be photographed, but another things that attracts the gals attention ... are "statues". Since they are not familiar with most of our history or culture or "famous people" ... any (and EVERY) statue will do. We have pictures of the girls with a statue of some famous Chicago radio broadcaster (who I never heard of ... but he will be well known in Thailand) ...


and another with a statue of Nathan Hale (who was extra special because they thought he was handsome).


1st week Summary... I believe we now have 2 happy gals, who are pretty well adapted to the time change, who seem to be enjoying themselves, who have great senses of humor and are a lot of fun to be with.


We also have slightly over 1000 pictures (3.1GB). My 80GB laptop drive is overflowing and my 80 GB external backup drive is overflowing. When I traveled in Asia, was able to use my camera taking a few hundred pictures, for 2 weeks without recharging the battery. With zooming, and viewing and macros, Su (who is using my camera) runs down the battery by noon on some days. Even after we cut back on the zooming and viewing and macros, we still run the battery down by 1 or 2 pm. I have resolved these two problems ... (I think)... by ordering a 16 GB flash drive... and I will also have 2 batteries.

Well ... I things have been hectic, and I have not had time to keep up with my blog... so I am going to continue now with days 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12

1 comment:

Dan said...

I recently had my photo taken with the Nathan Hale statue in front of the Chicago Tribune building. Nathan Hale became an inside joke between Mom and I many years ago. I didn't start a book report until the night before it was due, and I became paniced. Mom to the rescue. The topic of the report ended up being Nathan Hale, and so Mom learned as much about Nathan as I did. I have no idea why he would have his statue in front of the Chicago Tribune building. When I worked in New London, CT for a co-op job at the old Union Station building in downtown New London, an attraction right across the street was the "Nathan Hale Schoolhouse" which was where he evidently went to school as a child.